Program Review: NYU TISCH x Billboard- Music Industry Essentials
About the Program
- Program is hosted on Yellowbrick by a partnership of NYU Tisch: Clive Davis Institute x Billboard
- Course Format: 6 Interactive Virtual Classes to be completed for Non-Credit Certificate
- Application Link: https://www.yellowbrick.co/apply/?program=music
- Cost: $999 (payment plans/scholarships available)
- You must pay in full before you can request the NYU Certificate
What I liked about the program content:
- I am not an artist, I am more on the business side; however, this was a pretty good starting point for learning the artist development process. My hope is to work directly with artists focusing on development and branding and this gave me the chance to explore that.
- My favorite assignment was the “Creating Music Media” Assignment. When I started this class, I was living in Philly and in the job hunting process. I chose to focus on PNB Rock because he was one of the artists that I was targeting at the time. Both Rock and his manager reposted my assignment on IG, and I was offered a an Artist Liaison position for a festival he was to perform at in Ireland. Unfortunately, COVID cancelled the opportunity; however, now that everything is opening back up, there are new opportunities coming from their team.
Who should try this program?
- High School Students who are considering majoring in music industry related majors (9/10)
- Independent Artists (10/10 should take)
- Anyone interested in a career in the music industry (6/10 should take)
- This is an “at your own pace” program, don’t wait until the last minute, you will struggle through some of the assignments, but stay motivated.